This week you’ll find me at MuggleNet Academia—one of the most popular educational podcasts on iTunes and nominated for four People’s Choice awards. I had a blast chatting it up with host Keith Hawk, Hogwarts Professor John Granger, and my writing buddy Christine Frazier of Better Novel Project.
In our podcast we talk about the Harry Potter series as a literary artifact and how we can use it to help aspiring writers become better at their craft.
SOME OF THE QUESTIONS WE TACKLE
- What are Rowling’s three big story signatures? Should other writers try to imitate them?
- Which best-selling authors have clearly borrowed from Rowling’s writing toolbox?
- How much of Rowling’s success is due to her use of alchemical imagery and Christian symbolism? Do aspiring writers have to use them if they want to be successful?
- Can pantsers write as well as outliners?
- What specific story structure did Rowling use for scaffolding her story? How does understanding it improve an author’s chances of publishing success?